Why encapsulating electrical motor with epoxy resin?
There are many advantages in encapsulating a motor, in this section we will find out some more about it:
- First of all, to obtain an excellent electrical insulation, in fact air or voids can create partial discharges between ground and primary insulation, compromising the performances and the motors lifetime. Thanks to the of vacuum casting, the resin will spread into all internal spaces of the motor (especially into undercuts and windings). In this way a perfect insulation is granted.
- Secondly the encapsulation is useful to obtain High Thermal Dissipation, in fact the cured resin is a great thermal conductive material. This means that motors work at lower temperature and therefore they have higher endurance.
- The resin protects from chemicals, humidity, dust and bumps. Moreover, the resin reduces drastically the vibrations and the noise produced by the motor and it gives an important structural reinforcement, donating a greater mechanical stability.
- Thanks to some Epoxy resins it’s possible to have flame retardant properties, an additional benefit for onboard applications like trains, automotive, marine transportation.
- The last but not least, the latest Norms are restricting chemical emissions at the chimney. The emissions quantity of chemicals is different from type to type: Solvent based Varnishes has 50-70% of emissions (it means that the solid content value is only 30-50% max). For Polyester resins depends on the resin type, 3% (acrylates) - 25% emissions (styrene based polyesters).
Using epoxy resins there is no waste, no emission. The material is used 100% into the windings